Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Felt Frog & Pig: Love Story for the Decades



today is our one year wedding anniversary. of course, its hard for either of us to look at our relationship as only "one year old", especially because i know we both feel like we've known each other and loved one another our entire lives.

when i was younger (and even not so young) i was in love with Kermit the Frog.
No, really.
Seriously, truly in love with him.
Like, I wanted to marry him, in love.

I never understood why Kermit & Miss Piggy were an item. I didn't see how she could make him happy; she seemed really overbearing and loud; she was bossy and bold; she had tons of thick blonde hair and always seemed to storm off in a huff if she didn't get her way.

Kermit--- i would love you in a way Piggy couldn't.

Now, of course, i never married Kermit (though i think about it still...), but i also never stopped loving him. As I got older, i started to understand their relationship more. Piggy WAS bold, but she was a perfect catalyst for meek Kermit-- she pushed him to do things and take risks. She was loud, but it was only because Kermie was so quiet. She wanted things her way... but I saw her compromise too. Maybe they were made for each other, afterall.

***********

A year and some months ago, AJ & i took a trip to DC to see the Jim Henson exhibit at the Smithsonian. It was beautiful. I wept. I felt inspired. We both marveled at his genius--- at the love & passion and integrity Henson poured into everything he made. We were in awe of the work we knew had made us "different" and had helped to sculpt us as young artists and impassioned people.

At some point in the day I decided I didn't want to wait anymore for "the perfect moment", or until we had "enough money" or "enough time"; we'd been talking about getting married for years and we both knew we were supposed to be together; why wait any longer? We were walking in through mall, after the show, on our way to the DC Zoo, when I just said "will you marry me? Let's get married. Let's just do it". I knew I'd taken some of the "boy power" out of the whole proposal thing... but that's just how I am; i don't believe in convention--- i see something I want, and i get it. Call me overbearing or bossy, but I was tired of waiting, and I knew AJ was waiting for "the right time". I wanted him to know it WAS the right time... in fact, we'd waited too long already. Kermit & Piggy never worried about other people. Hell, they got married despite my belief that they belonged together!

***********

We put together this wedding blog as a way of sharing our adventure with our family & friends and picked November 10th as the day we'd have the ceremony performed, mostly because it was a day I already had off and AJ was able to get the day off. We wanted to have a night away, and the 10th was the most viable day for it. I liked the idea of sharing November with Thanksgiving and my parent's anniversary... but honestly, November is a very busy month for me and getting it done sooner than later just worked.

I sang "Somebody's Getting Married" (from the Muppets Take Manhattan) and used that as our wedding day post on the blog. I couldn't help feel like the Muppets were responsible in a few different ways... I mean, Kermit & Piggy taught me about love, right? And I guess, if I'm being totally honest... AJ & I do kinda have a Kermit & Piggy thing going on.

************

A year has passed and I am reflecting on the day we said "I do". Remembering too, how much i loved the sentiment expressed in the song from Kermit & Piggy's wedding... "he makes her happy... she makes him happy... she makes me happy... he makes me happy, that's all I need to know". And he does. And it is.

I sat down to write this post and got a message from a friend; a tweet, actually, wishing us and Sesame Street a happy anniversary. I assumed it was a generalization, until I read this article. Turns out, 40 years ago today, Sesame Street premiered. Jim Henson's brilliance was launched into the mainstream, and 10 years later I would start watching it, learning from it. I would meet the Muppets too. And 16 years after that, I'd meet AJ. And at an exhibit celebrating his life and work, we'd decide to get married, for real, on November 10th, just because it fit in our schedules.

And a year later, to the day, we'd be sharing our anniversary with Sesame Street.

How cool is that?
About as cool as we are, that's how.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

And Neil Gaiman's birthday too! Three of my favorite things/people all celebrated on the same day!

Many happy returns to all of you!

GlowGirl Fibers said...

Very very cool. Truly meant to be! What a nice thing to read as I start my day. Hope you both enjoyed the day...and all the days ahead.
Shine!

Niki said...

You make me happy just reading about how happy you are together.

Leeanna Butcher said...

okay- you are some sort of mad writing genius. :)
I LOVE this post, and CONGRATULATIONS on yours- and Sesame Street's big day. I wish you all the love, joy, laughter, and happiness that your hearts can hold.

maggie said...

much love to both of you!

maggie