Tuesday, March 24, 2009

locks of love: status report



i've been getting a little frustrated lately.
it's dumb.
my hair. i never want to brush it. i can't stand the blow dryer. wearing it down is too messy.
it's too wavy, and i'm tired of ponytails.
at some point i decided i could pull of pigtails... this may or may not be true, but I'm doing it anyway.

but mostly i'm frustrated that i'm frustrated by hair... particularly because the reason i "can't" cut it, is that i'm growing it for someone who can't do it themselves. being annoyed by my own thick locks seems silly and ungrateful.

for those of you who don't know, Locks Of Love, it "is a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis. [They] meet a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. [Their] mission is to return a sense of self, confidence and normalcy to children suffering from hair loss by utilizing donated ponytails to provide the highest quality hair prosthetics to financially disadvantaged children. The children receive hair prostheses free of charge or on a sliding scale, based on financial need."

i might not be able to send money. i don't really have the time to volunteer as much as I'd like. and i'm not so much a "run a marathon" type gal... but growing my hair? i can do that in my sleep!

the first time i grew my hair out for locks of love it seemed to grow faster and since i was hesitant to go so short, i relished the stay of execution. but that was over a year ago and i've been waiting for it to reach at LEAST 10" so i could lop it off and start over again...seems my hair has a mind of its own.

this has me thinking too things.
1.) chill out and enjoy the pigtails... few 30 year olds can get away with being asked what school they go to.
2.) take pictures and SEE the growth, however small it may be.
3.) encourage others to join you... after all, if i can convince other people to do it, then i won't have to grow my hair as fast (like i have any control over that at all, anyway).

SO, i extend this offer to you... (and i will keep you updated on my progress and check in with yours) join me in growing out your hair, follow the guidelines and when you finally DO donate your hair, send me a picture of your before and after shots and I'll give you a coupon for 50% off anything you'd like (custom Knitimals included!).

how's that for a deal?!

ok, let's go do good!

xoxo, danamarie

(ps--- stay tuned for more information about the MD SPCA's Walk For the Animals--- the April charity of the Month! and how you can help me help the animals.)

4 comments:

Hyperchondriac said...

hi sweetie, how are you? i recommend tying it up into a bun. you have no idea how refreshingly cooling it feels esp on a warm summer day. and it polishes up the look if you want to look, erm, polished :-p otherwise, get one of those clips that seem to work on everything.

jas

Bridget Marie said...

Count me in!
I need to grow mine a bit longer - but I have been wanting to do this for a long time.

Is Mason participating too???

Karen said...

Go! Grow that mane! I would join you, but I don't have good hair. I will sponsor you for the MD SPCA walk, though--I got my sweet puppy there years ago and owe them big time for bringing him to me.

Dolcepuku said...

I will do it. I just saw your post and I'm a little behind on the times. It is something I have always wanted to do, so as of today I'm growing out my hair for locks of love.